Sunday, January 3, 2010

Is Beauty truly in the Eye of the Beholder~


When we look in the mirror we see a variation of ourselves configured by our own minds designed to fit what we believe to be reality. But it is neither true nor false but simply our perceived reflection.
Some of us might pick ourselves apart on every little imperfection we believe to have and some my stare admiring or are simply satisfied by themselves. Either way which ever category you fit into the result will always be the same, you are inevitably you.
I have found this to be extraordinarily difficult and frustrating at times to accept. The questions I ask is there ever a happy medium between these two sides? Is there always going to be someone from your childhood, someone you went to school with, work with or even some random person you pass on the street, that you wish you could trade places with just purely because of their looks, their decor.
I would like to think that yes, everyone deals with this same mental dilemma one way or another. I believe the lucky ones are those who are able to accept what they see, accept who they are and are able to feel comfortable in their own skin on a daily basis.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Judie said...

I know for myself I pick apart my appearance, to the point that when I get ready to go out and I ask my husband how I look - he replies, "I think you look great, but in your opinion you may want to change ..." as he knows me so well that I'll end up seeing my reflection and notice that my "flab" is showing.

I judge that there people who are truly able to find their own perfection in their physical bodies because they have done their work around why they nitpick their own appearance. That is something I strive for with every piece of work I do that surrounds my image of who I am.

Keep up the blogs - I loved reading this and being able to comment back to you. This one hits home for me and is a strong trigger for me in my life.

January 4, 2010 at 10:01 PM  
Blogger Matt Warner said...

I read your post after I got out of the shower and stared at the mirror for at least 3 or 4 minutes. I always think of the BBC documentary on the human face (an amazing documentary btw) and wonder what it is that keeps me looking in that mirror. Am I looking for change? Is it physical change or mental change I'm looking for? There are always questions that I only ask when I look in the mirror and those questions only arise when there is a mirror.

I enjoyed your post. I believe it will catch everybody close.

January 6, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home